Palacio de los Condes de Buenavista

The Palace of the Counts of Buenavista was originally a residential palace built in 1530 by Diego de Cazalla, the city’s alderman, half a century after the capture of Malaga. Of Renaissance architecture, since the 16th century it has been one of the most emblematic civil buildings in the city due to its large plot of land, privileged location and its sturdy exterior image provided by the powerful lookout tower.

According to the Malaga typology, it is a two-storey building around a porticoed courtyard. This simple layout made possible the versatility of the different uses it has had throughout its history, without the need for structural transformations.

In the 1950s, it underwent an initial intervention to house the Museum of Fine Arts, according to the museological criteria of Juan Temboury, by Enrique Atencia Molina, and in 1984 by the architect César Olano.